Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2016

seasons and transitions

You can do anything for a season she said.  Yes, I thought, you can.  Until those seasons turn into years,

Days fly by and you find yourself stuck in a season.
Maybe even in a rut.
And then what?  
How do you know the difference between a season you need to stay in and a season that you are just stuck in.  And maybe it has become a rut; an unpromising or dull course of life.  
These were the thoughts waffling through my head as I listened to her speak.  She was also a pastor's wife and could relate with the unique life that brings so I trusted her words. 

I understand that Life is about season, transitions really.  I have done transitions, even thinking I had done them well.  Becoming a wife, becoming a mom, going from music business wife to Pastors wife, multiple cross- country moves.  The toddles years, the elementary years, the middle school awkwardness, the high school drama, stay-at-home mom to full-time working mom.  Youth ministry and worship leading seasons, church-planting and re-starting.  Tragic accidents, life-saving surgeries and health scares.  
Each have had their challenges, and their joys.  Many seasons I would love to relive the moments and others I am still in wonder of how I survived.  Yet every transition from one season to the next, brought experience and wisdom what was to come.  And as I reflect, I believe that I moved through those transitions well.  At least from this side.  Perspective can sure be encouraging.
So why do I now feel stuck in a rut?
Maybe in reality it isn't a rut.  Even though I am working in a job that seems to be wringing me out and so much of the best parts of my life is swiftly changing, this is the transition to a new season.  A new direction.  A new thing in me.
I was reminded today that I must allow God access to work in me, even it feels like a rut, through the seasons and transitions.   2 specific verses came to mind, one from the Old Testament and one from the new;

For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭43:19‬ ‭NLT‬‬
http://bible.com/116/isa.43.19.nlt

“Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭12:2‬ ‭NLT‬‬
http://bible.com/116/rom.12.2.nlt

I can do anything for a season, as God is with me, growing me, strengthening me, making me new and ready for what's next.




No comments: