Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Bend

Never been to Bend before......at least not the town here in Oregon. Last weekend we got the opportunity to make the 2.5 hour gorgeous journey through the Cascades to Bend. My best friend along with another recent grad, just opened Hope Rising- a counseling center and the open house was Friday evening. First of all......Congratulations Charity and Joy! What an accomplishment already and you are just getting started. You went after your dream. I am impressed. Inspired really.

I was cleaning out my purse- yes, must do that every so often! And I found their brochure. On the front a verse was included. Great Word for today-
"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassion never fails. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." from Lamentations 3:22-23
Lamentations from the Bible says that? Really? I did a little research into the book of Lamentations. Did you know that it really is a book of wailings that are read annually by the Jews as a reminder of the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the temple? I didn't. Lamentations is written as poetry with 5 laments. Reminding us of a God who keeps His covenants forever for those who choose Him. Lamentations reveals God's character, His judgements and why He acts as He does. Insightful. If you continue reading in chapter 3- it says "The Lord is my portion, says my soul, Therefore I have hope in Him. The Lord is food to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him."
What jumps out at me this morning as I sip my coffee is that Hope is NOT LOST. Whew- cause there have definitely been moments- even stretches of time that I felt that hope was lost. But Hope is Rising.... God is faithful. Dreams that I thought were long gone and only a figment of some crazy thought I had, are God dreams for me.
Despite the fact that what I see is not enough money, time, energy, or ability....He is forming inside of me something new and different.

So we had a great time in Bend. Thanks Kevin and Charity. Almost 4 years since we had seen their boys and very cool that within minutes they warmed up to us and our kids like we were family.
And thanks Charity and Joy (you are named well!)-- Hope is Rising. I pray that your center offers a true place of Hope for those who need it most. God will provide you with the courage and strength to do the work.....

2 comments:

Hope Rising said...

Michelle,

Love your research into Lamentations! What an inspiration you are & have been to both Charity & I. Would you mind if I repost your blog entry onto the Hope Rising Facebook site?


In Him,
Joy

Michelle Butler said...

Absolutely Joy. Enjoy a great Friday and so glad we finally got to meet :)!