Pages

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Got Faith??

Walking with God in a real relationship- like genuine intimacy and all out surrender- requires Great Faith. I have been reading this book "Crazy Love" and was really struck by a statement that the author Francis Chan made...........
He was refering to a time in college when a professor asked his class- "What are you doing right now that requires faith". The question affected him deeply because at that time in his life he couldn't think of anything that really required some serious faith. In fact he goes on to say- "I probably wouldn't be living very differently if I didn't believe in God; my life was neither ordered nor affected by my faith like I had assumed it was."
huh.....I put the book done immediately. Had I gotten comfortable in my faith? Had it become easy? Does God call us to a comfortable life?
I couldn't tell you how many prayers I have prayed for God to just make our money situation better- I don't want to be rich or anything- just get us out from under so much debt! Couldn't we just make a little more money God? And what happens??? I get laid off!!! Thanks God! Our church can't pay Dale anymore! We have sacrificed enough for this church as it is........what are you doing here God???
I worried and fretted about getting another job- one that would fit our schedule (which by most standards is crazy) and nada, nothing.........God help us!
And He did- and He does. But not by giving me another job but another focus..... not on being comfortable for sure!!!
So no..I don't think he calls us to be comfortable. He calls us to trust Him sooo completely that we are not even afraid to put ourselves in situations or situations happen to us where we would or will be in huge trouble if He doesn't come through.
Awesome verse that backs this up-- Hebrews 11:6 says-
"Without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him."

so the question stands- What are you doing right now that requires faith?
Would LOVE to hear your story-

1 comment:

Pastor Dale Butler said...

Just to clarify...it's not that the church can't afford to pay Dale anymore--it's that the church can't afford to pay Dale any more. I'm just sayin'.